Mary Wrobel, Author and Professional Speaker
Autism Consultant, Author, and Professional Speaker
Mary Wrobel is the author of Taking Care of Myself, a hygiene, health, puberty, and personal safety curriculum for students with ASD and related disabilities. Her book won the Autism Society of America Outstanding Literary Work of the Year Award-Educational Division for 2004.
Ms. Wrobel is a teacher and speech-language pathologist who has taught and worked with students with autism and other disabilities for more than 25 years. As a consultant, she trains both parents and teachers in communication and language approaches, behavior strategies, academic/curricular modifications, safety instruction, as well as health, hygiene, puberty, and personal safety. Her extensive knowledge of and experience with assistive technology has helped her to create a large library of resources as well as individualized materials, support strategies, and accommodations for a wide variety of students with disabilities.
The most important thing the author wants readers to gain from her books:
Her most recent book, Taking Care of Myself 2, is a guide for teens and young adults with ASD and covers the topics of hygiene, health, public behavior, relationships, personal safety, sex, and sexual relationships. She has also contributed to two previously published books: Autism 101 Manual and Asperger’s and Girls.
Why the author is an authority on the subject of her books:
Besides presenting nationally at several autism conferences, Ms. Wrobel has also taught university classes, has spoken to several parent organizations, and has offered numerous, varied workshops to many professionals including speech-language pathologists, nurses, social workers, occupational therapists, psychologists, and teachers.
Speaking Engagements and School Presentations:
Past presentations include topics such as:
- Autism in the Classroom: Teaching Students with ASD
- Teaching Language and Communication Skills to Students with ASD and Related Disabilities
- Understanding People with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Teaching Hygiene, Health and Modesty to Children with Autism
- Teaching Puberty, Grooming, Personal Safety and Sex Education to Students with ASD
- Teaching Self-care, Puberty, and Personal Safety to Students with Autism and Related Disabilities
- Teaching Puberty and Self-care to Students with Down Syndrome
- Teens and Young Adults with ASD: What They Need to Know
- Helping Adolescents and Young Adults with ASD Achieve Relationship Success
- Autism Challenges for Law Enforcement and Search & Rescue
Willing to Travel
Education/College Preparation/Special Education